On 10th September 2019, Ursula von der Leyen, President-elect of the European Commission (EC), presented the candidates for the different portfolios and the new Commission structure.
The new Commission will reflect the needs of a rapidly changing European community, a healthy planet, and a new digital world. To achieve this overarching goal, President-Elect stressed the importance for all College members to strengthen connections with all Member States in the first half of their mandate and move towards better sustainability for European Commission’s activities, including, for example, paperless and digital meetings. President-elect von der Leyen also mentioned the importance of democracy, of understanding the needs of Europeans and creating equal opportunities for all, regardless of where they are or where they come from. With regards to foreign policy, she expressed that she wants a sustainable, reliable Commission even more engaged with its geopolitical neighbors.
Regarding the structure of this new Commission, there will be three Executive Vice-Presidents and five other Vice-Presidents. Among the new Commissioners-designate is Stella Kyriakides, from Cyprus, who will be leading the Health portfolio. Ms Kyriakides is a medical psychologist with vast experience in social affairs, cancer patients advocacy, and prevention
Pictured: Commissioner-designate for Health Stella Kyriakides and President-elect Ursula von der Leyen. Source: EU Food.
Within the mission of protecting and promoting public health, the President-Elect prompted Commissioner-designate Stella to find ways to improve information, expertise and the exchange of best practices for the benefit of society, with special focus on:
- Ensuring affordable medicine supply
- Effectively implementing the new regulatory framework on medical devices
- Exploiting the potential of e-health and reducing inequalities
- Creating a European Health Data Space to exchange health information and research
- Implementing the European One Health Action Plan against Antimicrobial Resistance
- Prioritising communication on vaccination and combat its myths
- Executing Europe’s Beating Cancer Plan to help member states prevent and combat cancer
Click here to find President-Elect Ursula’s statement for Health Commissioner-delegate Kyriakides. More information about the new EC setup can be found here. For further details, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.