TO-REACH is a coordination and support action (CSA) under the EU funding programme Horizon 2020 to prepare a joint European research programme. It is aimed at producing research evidence supporting health care services and systems to become more resilient, effective, equitable, accessible, sustainable and comprehensive (in Europe, and abroad).
Objectives and Methodology
Governmental and funding organisations in a number of EU Member States and other countries have expressed the ambition to learn more systematically from the organisation of care in other settings, with the support of research organisations and others. Systematically learning from other countries on how health services can be organised and provided is a key element in the widely shared ambition to identify and implement successful strategies for improving care, both for individuals and populations, not the least for vulnerable citizens and patient groups.
The overall aim of the proposed TO-REACH project is to do the groundwork for establishing a joint European research programme on health services and systems that contributes to the resilience, effectiveness, equity, accessibility, sustainability and comprehensiveness of health services and systems.
To achieve this central aim, TO-REACH will have two main work streams.
- To prepare, conceptually and methodologically, an international research programme on cross-border learning from good models of care and the conditions needed to transfer and implement these from one setting to another.
- To enhance sustainable cooperation between funding bodies as well as their link with other existing or upcoming funders networks in order to facilitate such a joint international research programme.
TO-REACH will pursue five specific objectives, which are described below and will guide the work of separate Work Packages. The first two relate to part A of our strategy. The second two relate to part B. The final one relates to the dissemination of the results of this CSA.
- To identify health current and future health services and systems challenges and priorities by synthesising European and national roadmaps, ongoing research and stakeholder inputs;
- To develop an analytical framework and provide a knowledge synthesis on the identification of good models of care and the conditions needed for transferring, absorbing, up-scaling and enhancing performance;
- To enhance sustainable cooperation by research funding bodies and their link with other existing or upcoming funders networks and to prepare a common and sustainable platform for funding organizations;
- To contribute to research agenda setting at European and Member States’ level by developing a Strategic Research Agenda (SRA);
- To disseminate and communicate the process and results of TO-REACH both in a targeted and wide manner.
EHMA is involved in TO-REACH as coordinator of the dissemination work package.
You can also follow the project developments by following the project Twitter account @toreachEU