€2,500 - €3,200 gross per month depending on experience. An benefit package is also provided.
EHMA is looking for a Policy Officer
The European Health Management Association (EHMA) is the only membership association in Europe that brings together the full health ecosystem of health managers, informal and formal caregivers, patients, legislators, educators, policy makers and regulators, public health experts, researchers, health insurance experts, and industry. We coordinate projects, events and initiatives aimed at creating a clear health vision and alignment strategy, as well as lay down the organisational, societal and technological conditions to achieve optimal health outcomes for individual patients and the entire community. There are currently 15 highly-skilled colleagues in the office contributing to an active, diverse and dynamic work environment. You can read about our work at www.ehma.org
About the position
To build excellence in health management we lead initiatives including research projects, working groups, policy and communication campaigns, and events. We are organised in three departments: projects, policy, and operations. The Senior Management and the Management teams provide leadership and support to all departments.
Following the award of several new projects due to start in late 2023 and early 2024, EHMA is looking for a Policy Officer to be part of the Project Department. The Policy Officer will work across the organisation to ensure the provision of policy inputs into the overall portfolio of EHMA work, including our events, trainings, annual conference, communication campaigns, and project work. They will deliver an outstanding portfolio of policy activities, and proactively engage with our diversity of audiences to ensure that challenges in health management are properly addressed at a national and European level.
The Policy Officer will work with both the Policy Team to ensure the implementation of EHMA’s policy strategy; and the Project Team to ensure the completion of all activities and deliverables for a portfolio of European Commission- and privately-funded projects.
The Policy Officer will report to the Head of Policy, and will manage interns and volunteers.
The successful candidate will:
- Support the production and implementation of the policy strategy for the organisation, including identification of trending topics in health management, and key outputs of project work and other EHMA initiatives.
- Plan, implement and complete all activities and deliverables for a portfolio of European Commission- and privately-funded projects.
- Ensure the provision of policy inputs into the overall portfolio of EHMA work, including our events, trainings, annual conference, communication campaigns, and project work.
- Produce briefings, speaking notes and presentations, content for communication channels, advocacy campaigns, policy briefs, reports, position statements, and white papers.
- Coordinate consultation groups, working groups, and represent EHMA at external conferences and meetings.
- Conduct stakeholders mapping, surveys, and consultations, and maintain excellent relationships with partners and networks to ensure the overall coordination of policy and dissemination efforts.
- Contribute to proposal writing for funders including philanthropy, the European Commission, institutions, private donors, agencies and companies.
- You are educated to at least Master level in a health-related field or you have 3 years of experience in policy for the health and care sector.
- You have sound knowledge of EU institutions and their decision-making processes as well as excellent knowledge of global trends in health management.
- You have excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and have proven experience in writing articles, policy briefings, speeches, summaries, position papers, and statements.
- You are able to produce advocacy materials and develop mechanisms to share and manage advocacy information and knowledge.
- You can demonstrate outstanding organisational skills; priority setting; and ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously to meet different deadlines.
- You are proficient in using Microsoft Office tools, including Microsoft Teams, SharePoint and other virtual collaboration tools.
- You have very good interpersonal skills and are a solution-focused team player. You have experience working in a small, busy, international team.
- You are willing to travel within Europe when required.
Job package and eligibility
This position is offered according to Belgian national legislation. It is an offer for a full-time position of 38 hours per week with an open-end contract.
For this position, the monthly gross salary ranges between €2,500 and €3,200 depending on experience and qualifications, and will also include benefits such as meal vouchers, financial support towards the use of public transport to work, and complementary pension insurance. The post will combine in-office and remote work, as well as occasional travel. The successful candidate will be supplied with necessary materials to work remotely, as required (e.g., laptop).
All applicants must be qualified, eligible and able to work in Belgium, and are required to be based in Belgium. We are unfortunately not able to provide financial assistance for relocation.
Diversity and inclusion
We are committed to building an inclusive working environment and we want all our staff to thrive. We value the diversity that every staff member brings to EHMA. We offer a flexible working environment, and reasonable accommodations will be made for people who identify as living with a disability.
We are also committed to reduce to the very minimum (unconscious) bias and make the recruitment process as objective as possible. We assess applications and interviews through a point-based system and candidates are asked the same interview questions. We also offer personal feedback to all applicants who request it.
Applications are received only through our website at: EHMA Policy Officer vacancy. At the end of that page, you will find the APPLY NOW button.
To apply, please have ready the following documents in one single attachment, with its filename: LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_PolicyOfficer
- Your CV (maximum 3 pages).
- A motivation letter (maximum 2 pages). In your motivation letter please explain why you are applying for this position and how your experience responds to the profile requirements. Please also detail your salary and benefits expectation and the reasons for your request.
No other attachments are required and we ask you not to include any additional information at this stage.
Please note that applications that do not follow the above instructions will be disregarded.
The closing date for applications is Thursday, 29 February at 9.00 CEST. However, we strongly encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible as we will conduct this recruitment on a rolling basis.
We expect the successful candidate to start as soon as possible.
For further information please email Ms Federica Margheri at email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in working with us!
"*" indicates required fields
What our Members say
I have been active in EHMA since the first years of the '90s and I have seen its evolution from a small association of members interested in sharing knowledge on health management practices to the current status of reference and advisory key player for EU, health systems and organisations, stakeholders associations, industry and universities. EHMA is now a unique knowledge hub, policy advisor, community of practice and network of best in class organisations involved in health policy and management. A place where health managers can build their competences, policy-makers and stakeholder associations envision how to implement and sustain change through health management, industry leaders understand how to engage more effectively with health organisations and systems. The right place to nurture and grow health management capabilities and capacity for every stakeholder of health systems.
Prof. Federico Lega, University of Milan, Italy
Health management has a crucial function in shaping public health and health system challenges. The Medical University of Varna, Bulgaria had success in collaborating with EHMA on EU-funded projects that has resourced us to create new health management competencies for the future workforce. In addition to all classical definitions, health management is a science dealing with individuals, groups, and society at large. It is an art contributing to the beauty of our lives and an interactive communication process at all levels of institutions and human energy. I have also had the pleasure to chair the South Eastern European Special Interest Group which gives members a space to discuss and tools to address how health systems are managed in our regions.
Prof. Todorka Kostadinova, Medical University of Varna, Bulgaria
I enjoy the high level of interaction and engagement in EHMA’s activities, in particular during the annual conference where the panel discussions are rich and well prepared. As a hospital manager and professor of health management, EHMA motivates and inspires me to be creative. You go back home feeling energised from seeing old friends and making new connections, as well as being convinced of serving as EHMA’s ambassador. It’s a strong feeling of interdisciplinary engagement, but it also feels like being part of family-like community.
Prof. Sandra C. Buttigieg, University of Malta, Malta
EHMA is a pre-eminent organisation for everyone working in planning, managing and delivering health services across Europe. As a long standing member of EHMA I have always been impressed by the vibrant community of managers, researchers and academics it has created and by the many opportunities for sharing knowledge and funding opportunities it has brought to its members. Its international scope is impressive and its impact is often felt in management and research across European and national health systems.
Prof. Axel Kaehne, Edge Hill University, UK
Health workforce has become more essential in operating, managing and maintaining health systems lately, particularly in crisis and emergency situations. European healthcare professions and the workforce need to be high on the agenda of managers and decision makers. The Health Services Management Training Centre, Semmelweis University in Hungary is a longstanding EHMA member, because it connects us with collaborators and experts, with whom we can have complex debates, from whom we can learn and at the end find solutions in various challenging fields of healthcare management.
Dr Eszter Kovács, Health Services Management Training Centre, Semmelweis University, Hungary
As a hospital administrator and health management professor, I see on a daily basis that the healthcare challenges require talented and skilled managers to transform it. the EHMA membership has been beneficial to bring healthcare management research and education to the demanding healthcare services world, promoting healthcare management competencies and knowledge creation.
Dr Alexandre Lourenco, APAH - Association of Portuguese Hospital Managers, Portugal
Many healthcare systems in Europe and beyond are facing similar challenges which require innovative and creative solutions. EHMA’s annual conference, webinars, Programme Directors’ group and other activities and resources provide incredible opportunities for networking, connecting and sharing experiences. A distinct feature of EHMA is the diversity of members with representation from many countries, sectors and different communities of practice – academic, policy-makers, practitioners, managers, leaders and students. The annual conference is a highlight in the calendar year, offering a friendly, fun and learningful environment for emerging and established members to engage, collaborate and meet up with old and new friends. I am proud to be a member of the EHMA Board.
Prof. Ann Mahon, University of Manchester, UK
Society evolution, pandemics and ageing modify health needs. So, health policies and services are to change dramatically. EHMA, through webinars, workshops and annual conference provides an excellent insight to a professional changing world, favouring closeness to management innovation and the protagonists of these changes. As a primary care services’ manager, participating in EHMA activities is really worth it and allows to involve oneself in the innovation processes.
Dr Antoni Peris Grao, Consorci Castelldefels Agents de Salut (CASAP), Spain